- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat meat mixture into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nutmeg; spread over top. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sage Meat Loaf
Sort By :
I found this recipe, just ok. A better recipe is "Slow cooked Meat Loaf" from QuickCooking,Mar of 98. I exchanged the 2 slices of bread in that recipe for soda crackers, 1 cup. Also you cook carrots and potatoes along with it for one pot dinner!
It was okay but not awesome
This made a nice flavorful moist meatloaf. I did find it stuck to the pan though so next time I will grease the pan. We did not add the topping because we don't like the sweet ketchup type toppings...we just left our plain, although next time I just might have to try the gravy suggestion another reviewer mentioned. Thanks TOH, for another great homestyle recipe!
Consider this my best recipe!
awesome recipe! we loved it! only thing I added was garlic!