Sage Mashed Potatoes
"My daughters and I get together on Friday nights to try out new recipes, and we like to use a lot of herbs," says field editor Harriet Stichter of Milford, Indiana. "I don't care for mashed potatoes, but sage and onion make these irresistible."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer the potatoes and
- onion. Combine the water, oil, sage, salt and pepper; pour over
- potato mixture. Cover and bake at 450° for 45-50 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender, stirring twice. Transfer to a bowl; add
- yogurt and mash. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 130 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.