- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 to 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup all- purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oil, minced sage and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Shape into an 8-in. circle; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make several 1/4-in. indentations in the loaf.
- For topping, brush dough with 1 teaspoon oil. Top with sage leaves; brush leaves with remaining oil. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (8 wedges).
Originally published as Sage Fontina Focaccia in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p16
Reviews for Sage Fontina Focaccia(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review