Sage Dressing For Chicken
My family just loves this chicken stuffed with delicious sage dressing. They always ask for seconds.—Bobbie Talbott, Veneta, Oregon
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours
- 2 cups unseasoned dry bread cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- Melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, onion, parsley, sage and the
- egg. Add enough broth until stuffing is moistened and holds
- together. Stuff loosely into chicken. Fasten with skewers to close.
- Place with breast side up on a shallow rack in roasting pan. Brush
- with butter if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1-3/4 to
- 2-1/4 hours or until juices run clear. Baste several times with pan
- juices or butter. Prepare gravy if desired.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with egg substitute and low-sodium chicken broth, without butter or margarine, and skin removed after baking) equals 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 359 calories, 128 mg sodium, 85 mg cholesterol,