Sage Cornmeal Biscuits Recipe
My family loves these outstanding savory biscuits with eggs and sausage at breakfast or with meat at dinner. They bake up light and tender and have just the right amount of sage. —Mary Kincaid, Bostic, North Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until browned. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
1 serving (1 each) equals 163 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC