- 1/2 cup Sourdough Starter
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Let Sourdough Starter come to room temperature before using.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine Sourdough Starter, pumpkin, 1/4 cup cheese, butter, sugar, sage, salt, yeast mixture and 1 cup flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be slightly sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush egg over loaf; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Sage & Gruyere Sourdough Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p203
Reviews for Sage & Gruyere Sourdough Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review