Elevate brownies to a decadent goody by turning them into tasty morsels that are reminiscent of a Sacher Torte.—Pat Schmeling, Germantown, Wisconsin
Featured In: 23 of Our Most Decadent Chocolate Desserts
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, divided
- 12 dried apricots
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cut apricots into quarters. In a microwave, melt 1 ounce chocolate; stir until smooth. Dip one end of apricots in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a microwave, melt butter and remaining chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place preserves in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Cut brownie into four 7-1/2-in. x 5-in. rectangles. Spread preserves over two rectangles; top with remaining rectangles. Cover and freeze for 20 minutes. Cut each rectangle into 12 squares; cut each square diagonally into two triangles.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate, cream and butter. Microwave at 50% power for 1-2 minutes or until smooth, stirring twice. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over brownies. Top each with an apricot piece. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Sacher Torte Brownies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p122
Reviews for Sacher Torte Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review