Sacher Bars Recipe
Is your mouth watering yet? This rich take on a Viennese classic using apricot preserves and chocolate left the Taste of Home tasters speechless. Unless you count "mmm." —Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:75 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour the paper; set aside. In a microwave, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour.
- 2. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, heat preserves until melted. Cut cake into four 7-1/2x5-in. rectangles. Spread half of the preserves over two rectangles. Top each with remaining cake and spread with remaining preserves. Cut into bars.
- 4. In a microwave, melt semisweet chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bars. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-1/4 dozen.
1 bar equals 59 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC