- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour the paper; set aside. In a microwave, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave, heat preserves until melted. Cut cake into four 7-1/2x5-in. rectangles. Spread half of the preserves over two rectangles. Top each with remaining cake and spread with remaining preserves. Cut into bars.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bars. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-1/4 dozen.
Reviews for Sacher Bars
Sort By :
I am confused here - is it four bars or more that the recipes makes? I have not tried it yet, but that is because the serving size says 75, yet the instructions and calories indicate only four. Since I live alone, 75 is a rather large serving! Please advise.
I have been making these bars for years, but I use raspberry jelly or seedless raspberry jam instead of the apricot preserves. Yummy!
This was very sweet and next time I make it I would probably cut back the preserves to half a cup (maybe the preserves I used were sweeter than the test kitchen?). I would also change the drizzle to more of a ganache style by doing half chocolate chips, half whipping cream; I found the melted chips not only difficult to drizzle in a pretty pattern (too thick) but, also, they were too hard when they cooled again.
Other than that, this is a very good recipe and does have the taste of a Sacher torte. Make sure to cut the pieces as small as indicated in the recipe as this is rich.