Rye Rolls Recipe
I found this recipe in an old community cookbook I received as a gift for my wedding in 1965! It is one of my favorite recipes and make it often for guests.—Awynne Thurstenson, Siloam Springs, Arkansas
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups rye flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Caraway seeds and/or kosher salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 3 eggs, milk powder, butter, brown sugar, molasses, salt, baking soda and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Add rye flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Divide dough into 30 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk cold water and remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and/or kosher salt. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 123 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Rye Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC