Rye Horns Recipe
We live on a farm, so filling, flavorful meals are a must. No one can resist these tender rye rolls brushed with melted butter.
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups rye flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 eggs
- Additional melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, rye flour, sugar, yeast, salt, caraway seeds and baking soda. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, butter and molasses to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Roll each ball into a 6-in. x 3-in. oval. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side, stretching and pinching ends while rolling to taper ends.
- 5. Place on greased baking sheets. Curve rolls to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 280 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Rye Horns
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC