I love to experiment with bread recipes. This one is a favorite of my children and grandchildren. The soft, chewy breadsticks are delicious with a casserole or hearty bowl of soup.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add honey; let
- stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining water, whole wheat flour,
- rye flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll each
- into a 10-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 16
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 112 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.