This is a variation of a recipe my mom used to make. I changed a few things so it's easier to prepare. It's a hearty main dish my whole family enjoys.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups diced peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, cook rutabagas and potatoes in boiling salted
- water just until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion and celery until meat
- is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add rutabagas,
- potatoes, steak sauce, salt and pepper.
- Line a 9-in. pie pan with bottom pastry. Fill with rutabaga mixture.
- Top with remaining pastry; flute edges and cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40
- minutes longer or until crust is golden. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 394 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 692 mg sodium,