This is a variation of a recipe my mom used to make. I changed a few things so it's easier to prepare. It's a hearty main dish my whole family enjoys.
- 3 cups diced peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, cook rutabagas and potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion and celery until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add rutabagas, potatoes, steak sauce, salt and pepper.
- Line a 9-in. pie pan with bottom pastry. Fill with rutabaga mixture. Top with remaining pastry; flute edges and cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Rutabaga Pie in Country October/November 1996, p49
Reviews for Rutabaga Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2015
"I keep forgetting how good rutabagas are. This recipes makes a nice filling dinner and doesn't take much fussing. A tossed salad rounds it out."