Rutabaga Pie Recipe
This is a variation of a recipe my mom used to make. I changed a few things so it's easier to prepare. It's a hearty main dish my whole family enjoys.
- 3 cups diced peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, cook rutabagas and potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion and celery until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add rutabagas, potatoes, steak sauce, salt and pepper.
- Line a 9-in. pie pan with bottom pastry. Fill with rutabaga mixture. Top with remaining pastry; flute edges and cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Rutabaga Pie in Country October/November 1996, p49
Reviews for Rutabaga Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review