Rustic White Bean Soup Recipe
Grilling the tomatoes and onion bestows the broth with a unique smoky flavor. This hearty soup is great in the fall.—Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 8 large plum tomatoes, cored
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel in cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Brush tomatoes and onion rings with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill tomatoes over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until skins blister, turning frequently; set aside to cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, grill onion rings over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until charred, turning frequently.
- 3. Peel off and discard charred skin from tomatoes; coarsely chop tomatoes and onion.
- 4. In a large saucepan, saute garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, beans, water and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vinegar, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 176 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Rustic White Bean Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC