Rustic White Bean Soup Recipe
Grilling the tomatoes and onion bestows the broth with a unique smoky flavor. This hearty soup is great in the fall.Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 8 large plum tomatoes, cored
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel in cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Brush tomatoes and onion rings with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill tomatoes over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until skins blister, turning frequently; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, grill onion rings over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until charred, turning frequently.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from tomatoes; coarsely chop tomatoes and onion.
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, beans, water and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the vinegar, salt and pepper. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Rustic White Bean Soup in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p66
Reviews for Rustic White Bean Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >