Rustic Vegetarian Pizza Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 11 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices, patted dry, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet. Unroll pizza crust; shape into a 12-in. square. Place on the baking sheet. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Arrange nine slices of cheese over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Cut each remaining cheese slice into four pieces; set aside.
- 2. Place half of the zucchini, about 2 in. apart, around edges of cheese. Fold edges of dough about 1 in. over zucchini. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes.
- 3. Layer with onion, remaining zucchini and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 16 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 4. Arrange reserved cheese over the tomatoes; bake 4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with basil. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 slice: 363 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 812mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Rustic Vegetarian Pizza
"Excellent way to use fresh summer produce. Yummy. Since I cook for just 2, I divided this into 2 smaller pizzas, and froze one for later use."
"Loved it, very filling."
"I would prefer a crust recipe as well as a topping recipe. What we gain in nutrition on topping we lose with a refrigerator crust"
"Most people don't realize Italians didn't know what a tomato was until about 1500 A.D. (tomatoes are a New World food)."