Rustic Vegetarian Pizza Recipe
"While my husband was stationed in the service in Naples, Italy, we tried all kinds of pizzas with fresh ingredients," writes Priscilla Gilbert of Indian Harbour Beach, Florida. "This veggie pizza is delicious, but not complicated to prepare or assemble."
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 11 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices, patted dry, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet. Unroll pizza crust; shape into a 12-in. square. Place on the baking sheet. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Arrange nine slices of cheese over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Cut each remaining cheese slice into four pieces; set aside.
- 2. Place half of the zucchini, about 2 in. apart, around edges of cheese. Fold edges of dough about 1 in. over zucchini. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes.
- 3. Layer with onion, remaining zucchini and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 16 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 4. Arrange reserved cheese over the tomatoes; bake 4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with basil. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC