Rustic Vegetarian Pizza Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 11 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices, patted dry, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1. Sprinkle cornmeal over a greased baking sheet. Unroll pizza crust; shape into a 12-in. square. Place on the baking sheet. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Arrange nine slices of cheese over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Cut each remaining cheese slice into four pieces; set aside.
- 2. Place half of the zucchini, about 2 in. apart, around edges of cheese. Fold edges of dough about 1 in. over zucchini. Bake at 400° for 6 minutes.
- 3. Layer with onion, remaining zucchini and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 16 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 4. Arrange reserved cheese over the tomatoes; bake 4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with basil. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 slice: 363 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 812mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein .
Reviews for Rustic Vegetarian Pizza
"Excellent way to use fresh summer produce. Yummy. Since I cook for just 2, I divided this into 2 smaller pizzas, and froze one for later use."
"Loved it, very filling."
"I would prefer a crust recipe as well as a topping recipe. What we gain in nutrition on topping we lose with a refrigerator crust"
"Most people don't realize Italians didn't know what a tomato was until about 1500 A.D. (tomatoes are a New World food)."
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.