- absorbed, stirring occasionally (watch carefully to prevent
- scorching). Cool strips on waxed paper coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, brown
- sugar, egg, corn syrup, molasses, shortening, salt, aniseed, fennel
- seed, rye flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed
- for 3 minutes.
- Chop candied orange strips; add to dough. Stir in enough remaining
- flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a
- floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and
- let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Divide dough
- in half. Shape each into a 6-inch round loaf. Place on a greased
- baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to
- wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 213 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.