Rustic Swedish Rye Bread Recipe
My great grandmother gets all the credit for this dense and hearty loaf that she brought over from Sweden when she came to live in America. It's one of those all-purpose breads that goes well with almost any meal. —Heather Cook, Malta, Montana
- 5 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/2 cups rye flour
- 4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine orange peel strips and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain; set strips aside.
- 2. In the same saucepan, combine honey and remaining water. Bring to a boil; return strips to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until almost all of the syrup is absorbed, stirring occasionally (watch carefully to prevent scorching). Cool strips on waxed paper coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, brown sugar, egg, corn syrup, molasses, shortening, salt, aniseed, fennel seed, rye flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- 4. Chop candied orange strips; add to dough. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 5. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 6-inch round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (8 slices each).
1 slice equals 213 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC