- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, divided
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) uncooked multigrain spaghetti
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook and stir until tender. Remove from pan.
- In same pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, eggplant and mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; stir in oregano, parsley and half of the basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain; add spaghetti and squash to vegetable mixture. Drizzle with remaining oil; toss to combine. Top with cheese and remaining basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Rustic Summer Vegetable Pasta
"Love this recipe! We had almost all the ingredients in our garden, and this is such a delicious way to make them disappear. My nearest and dearest asked for bell peppers. Peppers with eggplant? It worked. It's also a very good recipe for the slow cooker."
"This was my first time ever cooking with eggplant, and I enjoyed it although my husband didn't much care for it and picked out his eggplant pieces. More leftovers for me :-)"
"Enjoyed a good dish for vegetarians."
"It was delicious & healthy; lots of vegetables! As the sauce simmered, I added some water to it, as it seemed a bit thick (I had LOTS of vegetables!)."
"I thought that the fresh herbs gave this a nice flavor, and it was nice to have a wide variety of vegetables for a light summer meal. I did substitute the eggplant for one more zucchini in the first step since my husband hates zucchini. I added the zucchini and summer squash to the dish at the end as part of the "vegetable mixture.""
"This recipe was pretty good. I liked all the veggies but added slices of sausage for the carnivores in my family. The only thing I would change would be to reduce the red pepper flakes to 1/4 or 1/2 tsp. We all felt the heat overwhelmed the nice flavors of the veggies."
"This recipe make me anxious for summer! The fresh herbs, garden veggies and tomato sauce was fantastic! I added some garlic salt to season the vegetables a little more."
"When do you add the zucchini and yellow summer squash back in?"