Rustic Rye Bread Recipe
This gorgeous rye bread has just a touch of sweetness and the perfect amount of caraway seeds. With a crusty top and firm texture, it holds up well to sandwiches, but a pat of butter will do the job, too. —Holly Wade, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the brown sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Add the rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 104 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC