- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the brown sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Add the rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Rustic Rye Bread
"This bread is easy and tasty. it came out perfect and is worth the effort."
"Outstanding bread, easy to make, and always gone in a flash!"
"Where can I find rye flour? I've looked in all 13 stores here in town and no one has it. I want to try this receipe because it looks like one that I loved in Sweden."
"I haven't made this yet but I'm going to. I want to make this in a Breadmaker. I have bread Machine yeast in a jar. How many teaspoons or tablespoons would I need for this recipe???????? Please help! You can even email me with your answer- Tom, - email@example.com Thanks, please hurry I love a good Rye bread!!!!!!!"
"couple of questions...is Rye flour easily purchased? Not sure I've eve seen it in my local supermarket. Also, could this be baked on a stone? Thanks in advance."
"My husband says this is the best bread recipe we have ever made and trust me we have baked a great number of breads. We made this exactly as recipe states."