Rustic Round Herb Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt and milk. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- 2. Spoon into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into wedges. Yield: 10 servings.
1 piece: 185 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Rustic Round Herb Bread
"I made this to go with soup for my family and it was excellent. It went together very fast, uses ingredients that I usually have on hand, and tastes great. We will be enjoying this bread again soon!"
"OMG, this is incredible. It comes together so quick and is excellent. The texture is moist and airy and the flavor is wonderful. I will be making this often in the future. Will go well with anything, Italian dishes, salad, soup, and just for eating alone (yes, it's that good!)"
"i didn't care for this at all. It was grainy and i could taste the baking soda."
"The only problem I have with this bread is that I want it all for myself!I have subbed sour cream if I find I'm out of yogurt with great results."
"Similar to a cheesy drop biscuit"
"This is excellent...don't be afraid to try whole wheat flour instead of white if you try to follow a whole grain diet."
"I made this in mass quantity to serve 200! It turned out just as good as if I made it for 10. It is a wonderful bread, very simple to make, but tastes like something from a nice bakery. Yum!plugginalong"
"this is a great bread to use as a side to an italian dish.i give it a two-thumbs up!"