- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Roll out pastry to fit two 4-1/2-in. tart pans with removable bottoms. Transfer pastry to pans. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. above top of pans; flute edges above edge of pans. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4-6 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Reduce heat to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; add the ham and cheese. Spoon into tart shells. Combine egg and cream. Pour over mushroom mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Rustic Quiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p20
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Rustic Quiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review