- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs and water until blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Rustic Pumpkin Bread
"Has anyone tried making a Gluten Free version of this recipe? If so, what did you add or subtract?"
"Line with parchment paper so it can be just lifted out of the pan. I exchanged 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup of the oil."
"I have been looking for a good pumpkin bread. This is the one. I got the TOH Christmas cookbook for a Christmas present and it was in there. I tried it and everyone liked it. The topping puts it over the top. The only problem I have is when you turn it over to get out of the pan and when you cut it the topping falls off. Have made 2 batches. I use 3 medium sized pans. This will be my go to recipe for Pumpkin bread. I also used fresh pumpkin so only used 1/2 cup of water as pumpkin was wetter than store bought. It turned out great!"
"Wonderful & moist!! The best recipe for the holidays!"
"This is a wonderful bread. The only thing I did different was substitute the flour with white whole wheat flour as I didn't have enough regular flour and I had a whole bag of the white whole wheat. I didn't notice any difference. The bread was very moist and delicious. The next time I may use more pecans and more of the spices. The topping made the bread yummy. I made two loaves like the recipe said, but one pan slipped out of my hands and landed on the floor as I was taking it out of the oven. Well, the one loaf that survived gave me an idea of how good it turned out. So now I will make two loaves next time and freeze one. Hopefully, the next time I won't be as clumsy. Fantastic recipe. This may just be my go to recipe when I want to make pumpkin bread. It's a keeper!"
"I added 1/2 cup of sour cream to the recipe, makes it even more moist!"
"This is very tasty and moist. My family loved the flavor. I would recommend not slicing it until placing in plastic wrap overnight to soften the topping."
"Best pumpkin bread I have ever had! It's my "go to" for future holiday baked goods."