- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs and water until blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Rustic Pumpkin Bread
"Has anyone tried making a Gluten Free version of this recipe? If so, what did you add or subtract?"
"Line with parchment paper so it can be just lifted out of the pan. I exchanged 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup of the oil."
"I have been looking for a good pumpkin bread. This is the one. I got the TOH Christmas cookbook for a Christmas present and it was in there. I tried it and everyone liked it. The topping puts it over the top. The only problem I have is when you turn it over to get out of the pan and when you cut it the topping falls off. Have made 2 batches. I use 3 medium sized pans. This will be my go to recipe for Pumpkin bread. I also used fresh pumpkin so only used 1/2 cup of water as pumpkin was wetter than store bought. It turned out great!"
"Wonderful & moist!! The best recipe for the holidays!"
"This is a wonderful bread. The only thing I did different was substitute the flour with white whole wheat flour as I didn't have enough regular flour and I had a whole bag of the white whole wheat. I didn't notice any difference. The bread was very moist and delicious. The next time I may use more pecans and more of the spices. The topping made the bread yummy. I made two loaves like the recipe said, but one pan slipped out of my hands and landed on the floor as I was taking it out of the oven. Well, the one loaf that survived gave me an idea of how good it turned out. So now I will make two loaves next time and freeze one. Hopefully, the next time I won't be as clumsy. Fantastic recipe. This may just be my go to recipe when I want to make pumpkin bread. It's a keeper!"
"I added 1/2 cup of sour cream to the recipe, makes it even more moist!"
"Perfect anytime of year, great taste....will be baking several for Thanksgiving"
"This is very tasty and moist. My family loved the flavor. I would recommend not slicing it until placing in plastic wrap overnight to soften the topping."
"Best pumpkin bread I have ever had! It's my "go to" for future holiday baked goods."