I saw a recipe for this rustic tart in a cookbook and wanted to try my own version of it. I changed the spices and chose my own fruits. It is a great dessert for the fall.—Lisa Varner, Charleston, South Carolina
Recommended: Pear Desserts
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, cherries and vanilla. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and ginger; sprinkle over pear mixture and stir gently to combine. Spoon over pastry to within 2 in. of edges; sprinkle with walnuts. Fold edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over folded pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Using parchment paper, slide tart onto a wire rack to cool. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Rustic Pear Tart in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p130
Reviews for Rustic Pear Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review