Rustic Oat Bran Bread Recipe
This moist bread is the perfect compliment to soups, stews, chili and even crisp salad. Nancy Zimmerman - Cape May Court House, New Jersey
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oat bran, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. With a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes across top of loaf.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (12 wedges).
1 wedge equals 107 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 247 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC