- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
"One of our favorite soups! So good!"
"Excellent! I like to use kale instead of spinach sometimes."
"This was fabulous!"
"My family loved this!"
"This soup was awesome! Great flavor and it took me 30 minutes to make and tasted like it simmered for three hours. I used only 1 cup of water (more chicken broth), used diced tomatoes with oregano and onion, and fat-free/reduced sodium chicken broth to reduce the calories further. I also had frozen tortellini so I used those as I think they hold up better than fresh."