Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
This is the most excellent soup that you can make. It is quick and easy. Our family loves it.
Yum! Will make again.
This is a family favorite! I use spicy regular Italian Sausage.
Absolutely delicious!! The parmesan cheese added while the soup is served adds to the flavor. The only change I made was to add more chicken broth ...6-7 cups of broth and omitted the water. Since the tortellini absorbs some of the liquid, not enough liquid is left for leftovers if more broth is not added at the start.
bland...I think jimmy dean original sausage would have been better. probably won't cook again.