Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
"This is wonderful!! Made a few changes based solely on family preferences. Halved the garlic, used all chicken broth, and 1/4 t. Dried basil, then very low simmer (covered) for 30 minutes. My family likes tri color penne , so actually boiled that separately, and set up a "soup bar" where you could assemble this any way you like. Pasta, spinach, ladle soup over , cheese. A huge keeper. Thank you!"
"The best soup ever!"
"This soup was amazing! Even if you are not into this type of soup, it is a MUST try. I used red onion, spicy sausage instead of the turkey sausage; chicken broth instead of water (added extra), and a carton of fresh Cherub cherry tomatoes instead of a can of diced tomatoes. Enjoy!"
"Best soup I've ever had."