VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound cod or halibut fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add potatoes, corn, broth, salt, celery salt, pepper and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes slightly.
- Stir in cod and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Rustic Fish Chowder in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p171