Rustic Fig, Onion & Pear Tart Recipe
“This recipe was one of my first creations, and it combines flavors I love. They work together well and are perfectly suited for the rustic crust. I’ve served this as a side dish and a dessert.”—Tina MacKissock, Manchester, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 3 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup fig preserves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions and pears in oil and butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- 2. Add the preserves, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- 3. Place half of onion mixture in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Set remaining onion mixture aside.
- 4. Place pie pastry on a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Spoon pureed onion mixture over the pastry to within 2 in. of edges; sprinkle with pepper. Top with reserved onion mixture. Fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered. Brush edges of tart with egg.
- 5. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 228 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC