- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups water (70° to 75°)
- 3-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal or additional flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, mix 3-1/2 cups flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir in yeast mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover with plastic; let rise at room temperature 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a 9-in. square. Fold dough into thirds, forming a 9x3-in. rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds, forming a 3-in. square. Turn dough over; place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic; let rise at room temperature until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bowl; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Dust bottom of a disposable foil roasting pan with cornmeal. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead in cranberries and orange peel. Shape into a 6-in. round loaf. Place in prepared pan; dust top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Cover pan with plastic; let rise at room temperature until dough expands to a 7-1/2-in. loaf, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 inch deep) across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest oven rack 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 450°. Remove foil; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until deep golden brown. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Rustic Cranberry & Orange Bread
"The first time I made this bread it came out good. However, In the directions it says to punch down and use the folding process. After rising the first time, it was still sticky so I couldn't do any folding. I basically poured it onto a baking tray after it was in the refrig. over night and baked it. Like I said it came out really tasty but wondering if the flour amount was correct."
"This bread is amazing! My mom gave me the recipe a year ago. Try making it with 1 1/2 cups of dried cranberries and 7-8 teaspoons of orange zest. If you don't like the cornmeal, just use flour for step 4."