Rustic Beef Bread
I've always enjoyed cooking and making dishes out of unusual ingredients. When I brought this slightly sweet bread to a family picnic, they couldn't believe it contained ground beef. - Margaret Peterson, Forest City, Iowa
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + rising
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked, drained and cooled ground beef (about 1/3 pound)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a bowl, soak raisins in boiling water; cool to 110°-115°
- (do not drain). In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk,
- sugar, shortening, salt, molasses and whole wheat flour; beat until
- smooth. Add beef and raisins. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a
- soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours; punch dough down. Refrigerate
- overnight; punch dough down.
- Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in.