Rustic Beef Bread Recipe
I've always enjoyed cooking and making dishes out of unusual ingredients. When I brought this slightly sweet bread to a family picnic, they couldn't believe it contained ground beef. - Margaret Peterson, Forest City, Iowa
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked, drained and cooled ground beef (about 1/3 pound)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a bowl, soak raisins in boiling water; cool to 110°-115° (do not drain). In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, shortening, salt, molasses and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add beef and raisins. Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours; punch dough down. Refrigerate overnight; punch dough down.
- 3. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes, covering loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with butter. Store in a refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 piece: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Rustic Beef Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC