Rustic Autumn Soup Recipe
- 5 medium parsnips, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Optional garnish: additional cooked finely chopped carrots, parsnips and/or apples, fresh chives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Garnish with additional cooked vegetables and/or apples and chives. Yield: 13 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
1 cup: 134 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Rustic Autumn Soup
"Yummy blend of Fall/Winter flavors. The parsnips really shine in this recipe. I used a stick blender to purée (best kitchen appliance ever!). The only thing I would change next (and there will be a next time) is to use less cream. 2 cups really mellows the flavor. Next time I will only use 1 cup or even just 1/2 to round out the flavors. As one reviewer suggested, it's probably just as tasty without the cream (and even less caloric)!"
"i made this again and added 1 tsp of curry paste awesome gave it more flavour"
"We liked this although we usually eat spicier."
"Very good with a lot of flavor. Everyone enjoyed it even those who are not fans of soup and picky eaters. I will make this again soon."
"Not a fan of the flavor of these veggies together. It sounded very nice, looking at the recipe, but left alot to be desired. Not sure what it was lacking..that special 'flavor' of something. Could have done without the tarragon taste also. Not my fav. Sorry. Don't waste your money on these ingredients making this dish."
"Fabulous flavor. I didn't have parsnips to put in more turnips and a bit more sweet potato and it was scrumptious!"