Rustic Autumn Soup Recipe
This recipe is a great way to use the harvest of fall. The rich, velvety soup makes a special first course, and the flavors of root vegetables really shine with a subtle sweetness from apple.—Denice Hageli, Elmhurst, Illinois
- 5 medium parsnips, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Optional garnish: additional cooked finely chopped carrots, parsnips and/or apples, fresh chives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Garnish with additional cooked vegetables and/or apples and chives. Yield: 13 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 134 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 384 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Rustic Autumn Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC