- 5 medium parsnips, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Optional garnish: additional cooked finely chopped carrots, parsnips and/or apples, fresh chives
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Garnish with additional cooked vegetables and/or apples and chives. Yield: 13 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Autumn Soup
"Yummy blend of Fall/Winter flavors. The parsnips really shine in this recipe. I used a stick blender to purée (best kitchen appliance ever!). The only thing I would change next (and there will be a next time) is to use less cream. 2 cups really mellows the flavor. Next time I will only use 1 cup or even just 1/2 to round out the flavors. As one reviewer suggested, it's probably just as tasty without the cream (and even less caloric)!"
"i made this again and added 1 tsp of curry paste awesome gave it more flavour"
"this was so easy to make and the taste was great and such a healthy soup i would make it over and over again"
"We liked this although we usually eat spicier."
"My entire family loves this soup. It's so easy and delicious! I save time by using my food processor to slice the veggies. Then they don't have to cook as long, and the food processor is out when it's time to puree the soup. It is just as tasty without the half and half."