I've always loved to experiment with food and recipes, and the following recipe is no exception. We all enjoy this soup on a cool day because it seems to warm you right up!
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped fresh beets
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large kettle, combine the stew meat, salt, pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender; add to kettle. Add the cabbage, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, beets, parsley and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cream and cream. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6-8 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Russian-Style Vegetable Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p62
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Russian-Style Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review