Russian Potatoes Recipe
A standout at potlucks, these creamy potatoes always get "vacuumed" out of the dish and leave guests asking for more. Try them with prime rib or a beef roast.—Judy Wilson, Sun City West, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 6 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup butter, cubed, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth or 8 cups water plus 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups sour cream, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil and 1/3 cup butter until softened. Stir in sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes; transfer to a large bowl. Add 1 cup sour cream, the cream, eggs, dill and remaining butter. Beat until mashed.
- 3. Spread half of potatoes into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; layer with onions and remaining potatoes. Gently spread remaining sour cream over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 423 calories, 29 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 152 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC