Russian Krendl Bread Recipe
While dinning with a Russian immigrant family, I jumped at the chance to add this wonderful bread they served to my recipe collection. Of course, I never turn down hugs from my grandchildren after I've prepared something special...and this recipe always works! —Ann Sodman, Evans, Colorado
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm half-and-half cream or whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup finely chopped dried apples
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dried plums
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm cream. In a large bowl, combine softened butter, egg yolks, vanilla, salt, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine juice, apple, dried fruits, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until mixture reaches a jam-like consistency, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl; cool completely.
- 4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 32x10-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Mix cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over top. Spread with fruit mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- 5. Place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down; form into a pretzel shape. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 24 servings.
1 slice equals 146 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC