Russian Krendl Bread Recipe
While dinning with a Russian immigrant family, I jumped at the chance to add this wonderful bread they served to my recipe collection. Of course, I never turn down hugs from my grandchildren after I've prepared something special...and this recipe always works! —Ann Sodman, Evans, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm half-and-half cream or milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup finely chopped dried apples
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dried plums
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm cream. In a large bowl, combine the softened butter, egg yolks, vanilla, salt, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the first five filling ingredients; add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until mixture reaches a jam-like consistency, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- 4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 32-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and cinnamon. Spread fruit mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- 5. Place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down; form into a pretzel shape. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 24 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC