Russian Holiday Bread Recipe
I modified a recipe I found in a cookbook to create this yeast bread chock-full of raisins and candied fruit. The cardamom gives it marvelous aroma and a delectable flavor. I give loaves of this bread out as gifts during the holidays, and the recipients are always pleased to receive it.—Loraine Meyer, Bend, Oregon
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup each chopped candied citron, orange peel and red cherries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, milk, sugar, butter, salt, lemon peel, cardamom and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Beat in the almonds, citron, orange peel, cherries and raisins. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 163 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Russian Holiday Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC