Russian Holiday Bread Recipe
I modified a recipe I found in a cookbook to create this yeast bread chock-full of raisins and candied fruit. The cardamom gives it marvelous aroma and a delectable flavor. I give loaves of this bread out as gifts during the holidays, and the recipients are always pleased to receive it.Loraine Meyer, Bend, Oregon
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup each chopped candied citron, orange peel and red cherries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, milk, sugar, butter, salt, lemon peel, cardamom and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Beat in the almonds, citron, orange peel, cherries and raisins. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Russian Holiday Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p127
Reviews for Russian Holiday Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review