Russian Borscht Recipe
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound beef shanks
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 medium uncooked beets, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. Place the first six ingredients in a large soup kettle or Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute beets in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes. stir in vinegar; set aside. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; cool. Remove meat from the bones; discard bones. Cut meat into chunks; set aside. strain broth, discarding peppercorns and bay leaves. Skim fat. Add enough water to broth to measure 6 cups; return to kettle. Add potatoes, carrots, cabbage, parsley and beets. Bring to a boil.
- 2. In a skillet, saute onion in remaining oil for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Whisk into soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. add tomatoes. process soup in small batches in a blender or food processor; pour into a large saucepan. Add beef; heat through. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Russian Borscht
"This is the best borscht that I have made. Thanks for sending it in to Taste of Home."