Russian Borscht Soup Recipe
- 2 cups chopped fresh beets
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the beets, carrots, onion and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add tomatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir in salt, dill and pepper. Top each serving with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 71 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Russian Borscht Soup
"I tried this borscht recipe and think it's ok. I just posted a recipe for borscht on my website (www.revivingtraditions.com/russian-borscht) and it?s amazing how different the prep can be. I think everybody?s borcht recipe is different. In fact, my borscht from week to week might even taste different! Borscht just has that reputation. Cheers from a true Russian."
"Absolutely love this recipe! Will definately make it again"
"Very Very Good as close to moms as i've been able to find. tasty, freezes great and wonderful on a winters night."