Russian Borscht Soup Recipe
With beets, carrots, cabbage and tomatoes, this recipe is great for gardeners like myself. Not only is it delicious, its bright crimson color is eye-catching on the table.
- 2 cups chopped fresh beets
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the beets, carrots, onion and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cabbage; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir in salt, dill and pepper. Top each serving with sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Russian Borscht in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p25
Reviews for Russian Borscht Soup(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 24, 2011
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2011
Absolutely love this recipe! Will definately make it again
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2011
Very Very Good as close to moms as i've been able to find. tasty, freezes great and wonderful on a winters night.