My family and I have traded in classic baked potatoes for these sweet potatoes with a spicy twist. The Chinese five-spice powder gives the spuds an added tasty kick.
Recommended: 30 Dessert Recipes for Raisin Lovers
- 8 large sweet potatoes (about 6-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup dark rum
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Place potatoes in a stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine raisins and rum. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30 seconds; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat cream and butter until butter is melted. Drain potatoes. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes; return to pan.
- Mash potatoes, gradually adding brown sugar, five-spice powder, salt, pepper and butter mixture. Stir in raisin mixture. If necessary, warm potatoes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup).
Originally published as Rum-Raisin Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p32
Reviews for Rum-Raisin Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review