Rum-Glazed Pumpkin Cake Recipe
For years, my co-workers were taste testers as I worked on a recipe for pumpkin cake. This version wins, hands down. —Gilda Smith, Santee, CA
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan; sprinkle pecans onto bottom of pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs and water until well blended. In another bowl, whisk cake mix and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- 3. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, cinnamon and cloves; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in rum; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Gradually brush glaze onto warm cake, about 1/4 cup at a time, allowing glaze to soak into cake before adding more. Cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC