Red cabbage is one of the crops grown here on Long Island, and this recipe is one of the ways I most like to use it. This salad is a pretty addition to any meal.
- 1 medium head red cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium red apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Thinly slice or shred cabbage; place in an 8-qt. Dutch oven. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add onion, apples, sugar, mustard and remaining vinegar. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes.
- Place mixture in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely cool.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Ruby Slaw in Country February/March 1996, p51
Reviews for Ruby Slaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review