Ruby Red Spinach Salads
These fabulous salads blend contrasting flavors deliciously. Pomegranate seeds add vibrant color, a pleasant crunch and a healthy dose of vitamin C.Veronica Callaghan, Glastonbury, Connecticut
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons red grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 2 large red grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shaved Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Remove fronds from
- fennel bulb; set aside for garnish. Cut bulb into thin slices and
- coarsely chop the slices. In a large bowl, combine the chopped
- fennel, grapefruit and spinach. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to
- Divide salad among four plates; sprinkle cheese and pomegranate seeds
- over salads. Garnish with fennel fronds. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 132 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.