Even folks who don't care for rhubarb can't resist the sweet, tangy taste of this soup. With its eye-catching color, this dish is an attractive addition to any table.
Recommended: 62 Ways to Eat the Rainbow
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 quart plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, combine rhubarb, 1 qt. of water and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 or until rhubarb is tender. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place in a blender; process until smooth. Return to pan. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining water; stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes; stirring constantly. Add food coloring if desired; mix well.
- Add a small amount of soup to egg yolk, stirring constantly; return to pan. Chill. Just before serving, beat cream until very soft peaks form; fold into soup. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ruby-Red Rhubarb Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p41
Reviews for Ruby-Red Rhubarb Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review