Ruby Red Cabbage Recipe
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large head red cabbage (about 3 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup plum or currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook cranberries in butter until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until cabbage is wilted, about 5-7 minutes.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 118 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Ruby Red Cabbage
"Great tasty recipe, i have cooked it a number of times now and just use a large covered fry pan. Really tasty."
"This was delicious and really easy to make. Very nice with roast pork. The cabbage stayed a lovely red colour and the sauce was very tasty. Even those not that keen on cabbage enjoyed this dish."
"I was looking for a recipe that tasted just like the jarred sweet and sour red cabbage we love, but better. This is it! I did make some changes to suit our preferences. I omitted the dried cranberries and the jelly, increased the butter to 4 tablespoons, and increased the brown sugar a bit too (because I left out the jelly). In my opinion, it doesn't need the oven at all, it can continue to cook on the stovetop. I actually transfered the cabbage to a crockpot because it was being served at a party, so it continued to cook on high for a half hour and then warm to hold until serve time. I served it with a grilled pork loin with a spicy dry rub, but will serve it with our Sauerbraten as well."