Ruby-Red Beet Salad Recipe
Adapted from a recipe that I've had for about 30 years, this salad was a big hit when I served it to my future in-laws. -Toni Talbott, Fairbanks, Alaska
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced beets, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons each chopped celery, green pepper and chives
- Leaf lettuce, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the gelatins; add boiling water and stir to dissolve. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set pineapple aside. Stir juice into gelatin. Refrigerate until slightly thickened. Stir in beets and pineapple. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate until firm.
- 2. For dressing, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, green pepper and chives in a small bowl. Cut gelatin into squares; serve on lettuce-lined salad plates if desired. Dollop with dressing. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 164 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC